Why do I like to train to patterns?

Becau-awze...

Anticipation: It can work against you in the show ring, but will work for you nicely in training

In a pattern, your horse will face the same tough questions again and again at the same spot. He has the opportunity to get ready and to set his feet to accomplish whatever task you set him. It also give you, the rider/trainer the opportunity to set your horse up for success. 

Patterns can alternate spots for work and spots to rest. 

In the past, in my training, I would notice a training area which needed addressed, and I would just hammer that area. Be it stopping, or laterals, or bending, or whatever would come up. And I would stay with it for long enough to get significant improvement. However, my horse would tire right about the time that I was ready to look for a good spot to quit. So then, we'd spend another 20 minutes trying to get one more good slide, sidepass, spin, etc. Often, very often, my horse would be too tired to give me one more.

Since, I have put easy spots into my patterns. Those short easy parts give my horse a chance to rest just a tad.
More importantly, they also give me a way to set lots of different scenarios for stops, or laterals, etc. Lateral after a turn, lateral after a small circle in the other direction, lateral after this and before that.

 

Patterns focus you, the rider, as well as the horse. 

I find that many people don't have a clear idea of what they want their horse to do. They only know what they Don't want their horses to do. Without a pattern, these riders will only walk around, waiting for their horse to mess up. Going from marker to marker and having certain objectives, makes those riders focus on the objectives, rather than waiting for their horse to be bad.

Develop muscle and coordination

Patterns give you the opportunity to build muscle and stamina for your horse. Coordination is built by setting up different scenarios for your horse to practice getting any given task done. Just like a basket ball team will practice different scenarios for every shot, so your horse will benefit of practicing different scenarios which you can set up in patterns. 

Ride Patterns anywhere

I learned to make patterns when I was starting horses in Wyoming. At that time I didn't have an arena.  I would ride out in the BLM pasture in back of my house, and find different clumps of brush, trees or rocks to build my patterns around. I'd ride a couple of patterns, then ride back home.
Since then, I have set up patterns to ride in any flat grassy area, or a field, and even the parking area our local fairgrounds. 

Patterns customized for you and your horse

I have many many patterns I have developed over the years for horses and riders. Most of them have instruction videos with them. Let me build some patterns for you and your horse, and see how they will positively affect your training, usually within one session. Lessons based on your video are only $20. You can email me, and we'll make a date to get together on the phone.

Small Serpentine and Lateral

Opposing bends and laterals help you focus on responsiveness and softness. If ridden correctly, you can work on muscle groups that help your horse with collection and self carriage.



Comments

Video Lesson for you and your horse

Would you like to send me a video of you and your horse?

Would you like to gain the next level of horsemanship for you and your equine Partner? or maybe there is a problem you would like to work through?


Skype lesson: $35

Video lesson: $20



Click here for more information

Popular Posts